[Fg-general] Provincial consultation

Simon Pavitt | Headware simon at headware.ca
Tue Oct 6 22:02:18 PDT 2009

Hi FreeGeekers

I don’t know how many people will be participating in the “2009
Provincial Labour Market Engagement Sessions”, but these are a
Provincial consultation that involve online events to ‘share and solicit
information that will inform government planning and program
development’. For more info go to:
www.labourmarketservices.gov.bc.ca/2009_plm_engagement_sessions/engagement_sessions.html

The notes say:
"In order to participate in the online session, you will need a computer
with Windows 2000, XP, or Vista and the ability to download a software
patch from Microsoft (to be provided)."

If anybody else feels strongly about the requirement to use software
from a specific company in order to participate in a Government
consultation then please use the contact details provided:
Alice Gillespie
Alice.Gillespie at gov.bc.ca <mailto:Alice.Gillespie at gov.bc.ca>

Below is a copy of my response in case anybody else wants to make
similar points, or additional ones.

Thanks

Simon

--

Hi Alice

I've just seen the info at:
www.labourmarketservices.gov.bc.ca/2009_plm_engagement_sessions/engagement_sessions.html

In particular I noticed that:
"In order to participate in the online session, you will need a computer
with Windows 2000, XP, or Vista and the ability to download a software
patch from Microsoft (to be provided)."

I am surprised by this requirement for an online event that is about
engaging the public in a Provincial consultation. In particular, I do
not understand why participation is restricted to people who have chosen
to use Microsoft software, and that also have the confidence and ability
to install software patches from them.

Could you explain the need for this requirement and what is unique about
this online event that requires a computer with an operating system from
a specific company?

Will you, for example, be providing copies of Windows to those who do
not have it in order to allow them to participate, or are you expecting
anybody who wants to take part to have to purchase their own copy?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions

Simon Pavitt