[Fg-general] Re: My thoughts on today

Luke Closs lukecloss at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 18:41:40 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Alan Andrew <alandna at telus.net> wrote:

> I have volunteered since last August, most Saturdays. And I've always
> chosen to go where FG needed me to be most. That has, recently, been in
> Build. Volunteers would only know me if they were in Saturdays. I'm the old
> guy with the big smile.
>
> I find the recent HR issues troublesome, for 2 reasons.
>
> 1. Why have so many of the, to me, senior staffers left so close in time? I
> don't know all names, but David, Ryan and John come to mind. Is there a
> common cause? And there may be good cause.

John was terminated for performance reasons.  I'd be interested in hearing
from David and Ryan if there was a common cause for their departures.

2. As naive as I may be, and as out-of-the-loop as I may be, I thought very
> highly of Adam--his friendly outgoing attitude, and sense of commitment. In
> fact when the announcement came down that he had 2 weeks left, I wanted to
> spend my last 2 Saturdays in Receiving with him as a token measure of saying
> "good-bye". Well that couldn't happen. And his departure may be appropriate,
> but I don't know and don't want to or need to know.

I don't think liking Adam implies you are naive.  Adam was always friendly
and supportive when I stopped by - he _always_ made me feel comfortable to
be there and would speak honestly about how he felt.

> As to the comments mentioned in others' notes, yes, I am demoralized. The
> energy I have to volunteer at FG is significantly diminished. And it's just
> because I experience that the heart of the organization, as I see it, has
> gone.
>
> I will continue, and maybe my bruised heart will mend. But for now I'm
> confused.
>
> Alan Andrew #502

I hope we can earn your energy and spirit back.

Luke