[Fg-general] Re: My thoughts on today

megan megan at freegeekvancouver.org
Sun Apr 26 18:59:17 PDT 2009

Hey, so I'm pasting below some of the comments in Ricks email that already
went over general. I'm thankful for these comments because they are needed
in order to help make FG a place where people are happy to be. I'm thankful
for the opportunity to address them. There is no reason why FG can't recover
and become a healthy and respectful org, and is already for the most part.
I'm proposing that FG invest time into organizational strengthening, I think
it would be wise to call a meeting to explore some of the problematic issues
at FG at all levels and start working towards tangible improvements. Who's
game?

i find it hard in good consious to continue to volunteer at FreeGeek, given
the treatment of such a long time dedicated staff member and people in
general.

My take is that FreeGeek is in the position it is in, without staff because
certain individuals in FreeGeek are driving  good people away.

And most likely turn any new optimistic new employee out the door when they
get a taste of how badly they can be taken for granted.

In my opinion, people needs to work on their issues/conduct before FreeGeek
implodes. and not buy into their insecurities/phobias.

i suspect there is lots of room for much better conduct by people/staff. I
am fully aware of and observed those who use insinuations, inconsiderate
expectations, bullying, and controlling tactics.

We are volunteers but are still human and need not be taken for granted.

When a theme of poor treatment is echoed, then how long will it go on for
and how pervasive is it?

Either some of the Directors are oblivious or compliant with the
maltreatment of Volunteers and staff.

In a regular work place, this borders on creating a hostile environment.
When decent people leave, then maybe the organization is not as healthy as
it would tell itself. And creating liablility issues/risks.

Over the past ten months, in trying to bring ideas/solutions to stations i
have filled, i have had mixed responses to my suggestions.

Some people value my observations and support their implementations or
trial.

Other people reject my suggestions outright and quote policies or excuses
without really giving potential solutions any real thought.

I feel have been dismissed so many times a that i hesitate to say anything
anymore.

I see that Volunteers are asked to shoulder higher and more responsiblilties
with very little input but to carry out the mandate/agenda.

I observe the good but i also see the areas that apppear to be in need of
attention.

I wish everyone well and hope things work out for all involved.

Thank-you to All for all that I have received from this experience.

Regards,

Rick Jang