[mp3togo] Re: mp3togo 0.5.0

Mark J Hewitt mjh at elsabio.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 13:46:56 PDT 2006

Sim,

Well, I'm afraid 0.5.4 does not work.

I have also ascertained that I have some ogg files that encode and tag
successfully, and others that do not.
I have also discovered that --index also fails in a similar way for
those files that fail to tag, and this code is a little easier to trace
through.
Of course despite many more years than I'm going to admit in software
development, I'm not particularly competent with python, but I'll learn
it and see if I can find the problem.

In the meantime, here are two small ogg files: one that succeeds and one
that fails - I would be interested to see if the same happens for you.
My current guess is that the accented character (é in this case) is not
being handled correctly because maybe the code expects ASCII or
something equally non-international when this is probably written to the
ogg comments in UTF-8 or Unicode.

(35/668)
/music/collection/classical/Airs_de_Cour/18-Ballard,Robert=Entrée_de_luth_-_instrumental=Catherine_King,Jacob_Heringman_,Charles_Daniels.ogg:
Creating dirs: Done.
Decoding ogg: Done.
Encoding mp3: Done. 7s elapsed.
Writing index: Failed. Cleaning up.
Undo: Writing index
Undo: Cleaning
Undo: Encoding mp3
Undo: Decoding ogg
Undo: Creating dirs
Undo: Start
Total time this track: 7s

(36/668)
/music/collection/classical/Airs_de_Cour/19-Ballard,Robert=Courante_-_instrumental=Catherine_King,Jacob_Heringman_,Charles_Daniels.ogg:
Creating dirs: Done.
Decoding ogg: Done. 1s elapsed.
Encoding mp3: Done. 11s elapsed.
Writing index: Done.