[mp3togo] Fwd: mp3togo random comments

sim reallifesim at gmail.com
Tue May 16 21:39:04 PDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: sim <reallifesim at gmail.com>
Date: May 15, 2006 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: mp3togo random comments
To: Christopher Arndt <chris.arndt at web.de>

Hi Christopher,
Thanks for the suggestions, yours is the first mp3togo email I've received.

I''ve made the change you suggested to the setup.py script. I knew it
wasn't quite right, it wouldn't install to /usr/local/bin easily
either.

The cache idea is something I've thought of as well, my idea is to put
options for a path and a size limit into the config file. It is on my
list of new features to add. Right now I'm messing around learning
pyGTK so I can add an X front end. I'm also planning to add code for a
cluster mode as well.

As for processing the same file twice, that's a regression. I fixed
that bug a long time ago when the script would crash all the time and
get restarted. I'll have to add a test for that.

Almost all of the code in 0.3.0 is new, so there is bound to be a few
more bugs hiding.

I like the idea of recognizing playlist files passed in as free
arguments. I think I will implement that. I support reading any kind
of file with file names in it though so I have to keep the -p option
for playlists without a known extension.

I like importing playlists from players, it makes good sense. I love
the XMMS option for friends that aren't good with computers. I'll try
to support as many players as I can, I haven't tried amarok, but I'll
check it out.

Sorry about the ImportError exceptions, you really shouldn't have seen
those. I depend on the packages in the debian/control file but I will
add a check and have it do the right thing.

I do need to do something about the underscores. I like it that way,
but it's just preference. I've thought about a format string for the
output file name. One problem is files with missing or strange tags.
I'll think about this some more.

I'm sorry to hear the deb won't work on Ubuntu. We're still using
python 2.3 in testing and the policy manual is pretty strict about
what to put in the Depends: line. This is my first Debian package so
I'm pretty green myself, I need to track down a sponsor to double
check the Debian stuff.

I don't use Ubuntu myself, but I would be happy to host an Ubuntu
package, or rpm for that matter, on the website.

The test suite uses data files that are fairly large so I wanted to
distribute them separately. They are not available yet as the
particular files I have been using are just pulled from my collection
and I have no right to distribute them. I will probably record
something myself so that I don't get sued. Maybe a short punk rock
song about Sony and DRM.

For what it's worth, 0.3.0 passed all the tests on my machine. I'll
add an option to the test suite to test the installed version instead
of the working copy.

Thanks again for the suggestions, it's nice to know people are using
it out there.

--
sim

--