[mp3togo] abort and traceback from mp3togo

sim sim at puddle.ca
Fri May 19 10:52:56 PDT 2006

>Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym at teledyn.com> wrote:
> fab idea, but it wouldn't work in my Mandriva 2006 environment:
>
>     Encoding mp3: Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "/usr/bin/mp3togo", line 25, in ?
>         main(sys.argv)
>       File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mp3togo/main.py", line 126,
> in main
>         execute_sequential(playlist, opts, cooked)
>       File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mp3togo/main.py", line 230,
> in execute_sequential
>         print "Total time this track: %s\n" % ts
>     IOError: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable
>     Command exited with non-zero status 1
>
> any ideas what might have gone wrong?  Also, I'm not quite sure what you
> mean by the compression factor; do I just run Lame once manually and
> use the ratio that I get?  I assume it's the ratio from wav to mp3

Thanks for the bug report Gary,

Hmm, I've never seen a print statement raise an exception before. It may
be that the thread that monitors the progress of the subprocess threw
the exception from the waitpid call to get the finished child's status.
(in task.py at the top of eatout())

The subtask would have just been finishing, as the main loop was just
wrapping up the file.

That waitpid call should be wrapped in a try: except: anyways.

Did you have a cache set up?

Is the error repeatable?

Did the file come out okay?

As for the --compression-factor option, it is just a factor to aid in
estimating the completed filesize. It is used to determine if a track
will fit on the output device before taking the time to encode it.

There is a bit of margin for error built in, I tuned it to the default
lame options which produce ~100kbps files.

If you are going to encode with very different options, say you want to
make a set of high quality mp3s from a flac archive, you should set
--compression-factor to the compression rate from wav file that you
expect the encoder to produce. You can run lame manualy once to figure
this out.

If you have no expectation of getting anywhere close to the size limits
of the target device, the --compression-factor option isn't really
that important.

--
sim