[mp3togo] Version 0.5.0 released

sim sim at puddle.ca
Fri May 26 21:06:51 PDT 2006

Announcing mp3togo version 0.5.0

New in this version is a cluster mode to share the workload between
multiple networked computers. The computers communicate through shared
NFS directories and a pipe connection over ssh.

The interface is a little more stark, it really has too much information
to display on a status line. All that is printed is notification of task
start and task fail events for each machine in the cluster.

If a file fails on one machine, the others will try it once each until
the file has been attempted by three machines at which point mp3togo
gives up. This makes the cluster a bit more robust when it contains
broken nodes, and allows nodes that only handle a subset of filetypes.

I've put useage instructions on the news page on the website:
http://puddle.ca/mp3togo/news.html
It's a bit terse for now, but it will take a more advanced user to set
up the ssh keys and NFS mounts, if you know how to do that you can
probably figure the rest out. I will write better instructions for the
manual with some background on getting the environment set up. at some
point soon.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about getting cluster mode to work.

The scheme for cluster mode is inspired by DVD::Rip which uses a similar
system for its cluster mode.

The speed gains are considerable. The clustering set up only adds about
fifteen seconds to the run time on my machine(s).

Enjoy,

--
sim