[mp3togo] Re: mp3togo 0.5.0

sim reallifesim at gmail.com
Sat May 27 22:29:39 PDT 2006

On 5/27/06, Mark J Hewitt <mjh at elsabio.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Simeon,
>
> Just thought I try out this handy little tool, but I have a problem:
>
> [mjh at tardis workspace]$ mp3togo  -o /workspace/resampled -v 2 -t .2go -d
> 3 /music/collection/classical/*/*
> normalize-audio binary not found
> mpg321 binary not found
> Third party module: xmms is not available. Doing without
> 'normalize-audio' binary not found. Normalization disabled.
> mp3togo 0.4.0
>
> <space> or 'p' to pause, <esc> or 'q' to quit
>
> (1/668)
> /music/collection/classical/3_Gymnopedies_&_Other_Piano_Works/01-Satie,Erik=Gymnopédie_No._1=Pascal_Rogé.ogg:
> Creating dirs: Done.
> Decoding ogg: Done. 1s elapsed.
> Encoding mp3: Done. 14s elapsed.
> Exception exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError: <exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError
> instance at 0x2aaaae723d88> in <bound method ID3.__del__ of <ID3.ID3
> instance at 0x2aaaae723cf8>> ignored
> Tagging: Failed. Cleaning up.
> Undo: Tagging
> Undo: Cleaning
> Undo: Encoding mp3
> Undo: Decoding ogg
> Undo: Creating dirs
> Undo: Start
> Total time this track: 15s
>

> Any idea what's going on here?
>
> Mark.

Thanks for the bug report Mark.

This is a strange one. All that the __del__() method of ID3 does is
call write() which mp3togo calls itself before deleting the object. It
should throw any exceptions there.

What version of ID3 are you using?
What os/platform is this on?
Do all of your files exhibit the same bug, or just this one?
Did mp3togo exit after this error, or did it continue on with the next track?

We are looking at replacing the ID3 module with something a bit more
modern, but I can solve your immediate problem by adding an option to
disable tagging. It's not an ideal solution, but it will allow you to
process your files albeit without tags.

It is an option I've been meaning to add.

I'll code it up tomorrow morning and post it.

I would like to figure this bug out though.

Thanks for your interest in mp3togo, I hope we can get this one sorted
out for you.

--
sim