[mp3togo] audiotags diff

Justus Pendleton justus at ryoohki.net
Wed May 31 19:55:32 PDT 2006

sim wrote:
>> I believe this is because mutagen is writing a relatively
>> modern version of id3v2 and many older tag reading programs don't
>> properly handle them.
>
> I've been thinking about this. The target for mp3togo is a portable
> mp3 player. Many portable players are limited in the type of files
> they will play, id3v2 is not even supported by many of them. It is
> probably a better idea to tag files with id3v1 tags.

Indeed, my player -- as far as I can tell -- doesn't know a thing about
id3 tags. You are probably right that supporting the lowest common
denominator -- id3v1 -- is the way to go for portable players. As soon
as I wrote the above I began thinking alone those same lines. In that
case, mutagen isn't really appropriate: it cannot write id3v1 tags at
all. One possibility would be to use mutagen to read the tags but
another library to write them out; the existing ID3 module, for instance.

> I try to consider the input files as read only, mp3togo really has no
> business modifing them.

Agree 100% :)