[mp3togo] audiotags diff

sim reallifesim at gmail.com
Wed May 31 20:27:13 PDT 2006

On 5/31/06, Justus Pendleton <justus at ryoohki.net> wrote:
> Indeed, my player -- as far as I can tell -- doesn't know a thing about
> id3 tags. You are probably right that supporting the lowest common
> denominator -- id3v1 -- is the way to go for portable players. As soon
> as I wrote the above I began thinking alone those same lines. In that
> case, mutagen isn't really appropriate: it cannot write id3v1 tags at
> all. One possibility would be to use mutagen to read the tags but
> another library to write them out; the existing ID3 module, for instance.

I think mutagen is the right choice for reading tags. mp3togo should
be able to read as many types of file as possible. It only needs to
write mp3 and ogg files (and wavs, but no tags there) so the writing
end can be simple, it may even be done already.

There is much room for improving the reading end, especially as we now
have an input type we can't read tags from yet.

I used find to track down a test .m4a file from my archive. I had over
800 of them. I didn't realize I had so many, it's been too
inconvenient to convert them for playing. There are some gems
streaming onto my player right now, thanks again for the patch.

--
sim