[Fg-general] re:warehouse changes

Richard Jang rwjang at telus.net
Fri Apr 17 13:33:39 PDT 2009

Hi All,

Having had some discussion with a Director and finding no action or
satisfaction on how Adam's removal was dealt with, i find it hard in
good consious to continue to volunteer at FreeGeek, given the treatment
of such a long time dedicated staff member and people in general.

Pasted are my communications i sent to him of my observations during my
volunteer time with FreeGeek.

To Director,

I went to a Monthly meeting and and was told my topic was a dead issue
and i could look into the archives for the past discussions.
I read the posts, went on line, posted my ideas and multiple reasons for
reuse of music and educational CDs and was instantaneously flamed.
I worked out some good discussions with those who didn't understand the
perspective of dealing with and lost value to FreeGeek by merely
rendering the CDs.
Said my piece and let it go.

I contemplated submitting my resume when i was between jobs and had
three options, but recognised there were persons and philosophies at
FreeGeek that I would be in conflict with.

I currently work Monday to Thursday 2pm to midnight, so all meetings and
volunteer times have been curbed.

I appreciate your candidacy and dilemma  when responding to the
Warehouse issue.
My take is that FreeGeek is in the position it is in, without staff
because certain individuals in FreeGeek are driving  good people away.
And most likely turn any new optimistic new employee out the door when
they get a taste of how badly they can be taken for granted.

In my opinion, people needs to work on their issues/conduct before
FreeGeek implodes.
and not buy into their insecurities/phobias.

I have been a Health and Safety officer and could shut down FreeGeek if
i was to write down all the infractions, but safety should a genuine
concern for and education of people and not a grinding of the rules into
their being. The way some people talk at the members.

I would think, reorging a warehouse is a good opportunity for a new
person to demonstrate their abilities and familiarity with the product.
And the Bicycle people side only became available for the past few weeks.
It was amazing Adam and his support could function in the limited space
availble.

thanks for your time.

Rick

> <>Greetings,
>
> almost done...
>
> Any experience comes as a mixed bag.
>
> We try to be positive but there are days when people's nerves are
> frayed and
> tempers rise, especially when the demands of the job impinge upon us.
>
> I try to take it in stride when someones communication is blunt or feels
> demeaning.
>
> When I observed a grown man emotionally distraught as he left the premises
> of FreeGeek and heard how he was treated, i suspect there is lots of room
> for much better conduct by people/staff.
> I am fully aware of and observed those who use insinuations, inconsiderate
> expectations, bullying, and controlling tactics.
>
> We are volunteers but are still human and need not be taken for granted.
>
> Yes, as volunteers we talk amongst ourselves.
> When a theme of poor treatment is echoed, then how long will it go on for
> and how pervasive is it?
>

> Either some of the Directors are oblivious or compliant with the
> maltreatment of Volunteers and staff.
> In a regular work place, this borders on creating a hostile environment.
> When decent people leave, then maybe the organization is not as healthy as
> it would tell itself. And creating liablility issues/risks.
>
> In all the time i've spent there, i don't know who the Directors are.
> I 've met a few committed people like Sean and Ryan in past, but for all
> intents we are strangers.
>
> I have gladly donated my time and have already received full value for my
> time with FreeGeek.
>
> Over the past ten months, in trying to bring ideas/solutions to stations i
> have filled, i have had mixed responses to my suggestions.
> Some people value my observations and support their implementations or
> trial.
> Other people reject my suggestions outright and quote policies or excuses
> without really giving potential solutions any real thought.
>
> I have brought in donated hardware in efforts to create a better final
> product but was was told to remove the offending object.
> I am exposed to good used shelving and racking material but no longer need
> the extra grief.
>
> I feel have been dismissed so many times a that i hesitate to say anything
> anymore.
>
> I see that Volunteers are asked to shoulder higher and more
> responsiblilties
> with very little input but to carry out the mandate/agenda.
>
> As for the conflict of interest, Is FreeGeek really Non-profit if specific
> individuals are profiting from the proceeds of FreeGeek?
> A large percentage of higher end donations seem to migrate from
> FreeGeek warehouse and
> are sold off elsewhere.

> <>I observe the good but i also see the areas that apppear to be in
> need of attention.
>
> regards,
>
> Rick jang

> [...]

My friend said, "Go to where you are welcomed, not where you are tolerated"

Not an easy decision as i really enjoy most of my time at FreeGeek, but
it has soured,
so I am taking a leave as the place doesn't feel right to me with Adam gone.

I go to Volunteer with something less tangible, like Stream restoration
and protection.

I wish everyone well and hope things work out for all involved.

Thank-you to All for all that I have received from this experience.

Regards,

Rick Jang