[mp3togo] Tagging fails

sim reallifesim at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 14:48:12 PST 2006

On 11/4/06, Norman Urs Baier <spiessli at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Read today in a Linux Journal that there is something out there doing exactly
> what I want, transcoding while preserving the tags! Great, thanks! However
> there is this little detail annoying me: it does not work for me... :'(
> I tried to run the beast and it goes quite well until it should write the
> tags, then it erases all files again (unless I disable tagging).
> Is there something I can do to escape my misery?
>
> baier at aemulus:~> mp3togo -v 9 -C lame -z 10 -E "-b 160" -o mp3mix mix/*

Hi Norman,
I'm glad to hear mp3togo does exactly what you want. It's too bad that
it is not working properly for you.

mp3togo transcodes flac files correctly on my system with your command
line and it appears you have the correct libraries installed on your
system.

What distribution do you run? What version of python?

I have had some reports of errors when tanscoding files with unicode
tags in the past. I modified mp3togo to use the eyeD3 library and that
seemed to fix the problem.

I can't reproduce the problem on my system. If it is a problem with
the tags themselves, a copy of one of the failing input files could
help me reproduce the problem.

If you are willing to do a bit of debugging for me you could edit
task.py and have it reraise the exception. To do this: add a raise
statement above the return statement in SimpleTask.run() on line 92.

from this:
       except:
            self._status = FAILED
            self._runlock.release()
            return True

to this:
       except:
            self._status = FAILED
            self._runlock.release()
            raise
            return True

Then run the program again and send me the output.
task.py can be found in the mp3togo directory in the place your system
installs third party python modules. You can find it by running
python:

? python
Python 2.4.4c0 (#2, Jul 30 2006, 15:43:58)
[GCC 4.1.2 20060715 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-9)] on linux2
>>> import mp3togo
>>> mp3togo.__file__
'/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/mp3togo/__init__.pyc'

(task.py is  '/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/mp3togo/task.py')

Thanks for the bug report Norman. Hopefully I can get this problem
fixed for you.

--
sim