[mp3togo] Tagging fails

Norman Urs Baier spiessli at gmx.net
Sun Nov 5 02:14:13 PST 2006

Am Samstag, 4. November 2006 23:48 schrieben Sie:
> On 11/4/06, Norman Urs Baier <spiessli at gmx.net> wrote:
> > baier at aemulus:~> mp3togo -v 9 -C lame -z 10 -E "-b 160" -o mp3mix mix/*
>
> mp3togo transcodes flac files correctly on my system with your command
> line and it appears you have the correct libraries installed on your
> system.
>
> If you are willing to do a bit of debugging for me you could edit
> task.py and have it reraise the exception. To do this: add a raise
> statement above the return statement in SimpleTask.run() on line 92.
>
> from this:
>        except:
>             self._status = FAILED
>             self._runlock.release()
>             return True
>
> to this:
>        except:
>             self._status = FAILED
>             self._runlock.release()
>             raise
>             return True
>
> Then run the program again and send me the output.
> task.py can be found in the mp3togo directory in the place your system
> installs third party python modules. You can find it by running
> python:
>
> Thanks for the bug report Norman. Hopefully I can get this problem
> fixed for you.

Would be great indeed if this problem can be fixed! Thanks for the detailed
and rapid answer.

While writing this mail, I think I have solved the problem. Probably there is
an undocumented(?) dependency on libid3tag in eyeD3 or ID3, don't know which
is used. I did not want to see this failing check for mpg321 anymore and
installed mpg321, which had a documented depency on libid3tag and since then
it is working, almost!

The file "01 Sou.flac" makes problems:

--
(5/20) /home/baier/mix/01 Sou.flac:
Creating dirs: Done.
Decoding flac: Done. 1s elapsed.
Normalizing: Done.
Encoding mp3: Done. 23s elapsed.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/mp3togo", line 25, in ?
    main(sys.argv)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mp3togo/main.py", line 137, in main
    execute_sequential(playlist, opts, cooked)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mp3togo/main.py", line 176, in
execute_sequential
    tsk.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mp3togo/task.py", line 83, in run
    out = self._action()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mp3togo/track.py", line 233, in
tag_output
    self.tags.write(self._outname)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mp3togo/tags.py", line 191, in write
    g.setId(d['GENRE'])
KeyError: 'GENRE'
--

In fact it appears as if this is due to an empty Genre, I filled the tag with
easytag and now its running through smoothly... (I am innocent concerning the

If you want to check that file on your computer, you can access it under:
http://www.normiboy.ch/failing

Thanks again for your help and the great tool!

Norman

PS. Here the mail as I did write it already before installing libid3tag, maybe
there there is something interesting in it anyway:

My system is "Linux from Scratch" so maybe this does not help a lot. To start
with, my python is not that verbose as yours:

--
root at aemulus:/usr/src/mp3togo-0.5.6 # python
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Oct 16 2006, 10:51:55)

--

I spotted the modules under /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ anyway and made
the modification:

--
baier at aemulus:~> mp3togo -o mp3mix mix/*
faad binary not found

<space> or 'p' to pause, <esc> or 'q' to quit

(1/16) /home/baier/mix/01 1st Transmission.flac:
Creating dirs: Done.
Decoding flac: Done. 5s elapsed.
Normalizing: Done.
Encoding mp3: Done. 42s elapsed.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/mp3togo", line 25, in ?
    main(sys.argv)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mp3togo/main.py", line 137, in main
    execute_sequential(playlist, opts, cooked)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mp3togo/main.py", line 176, in
execute_sequential
    tsk.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mp3togo/task.py", line 83, in run
    out = self._action()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mp3togo/track.py", line 233, in
tag_output
    self.tags.write(self._outname)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mp3togo/tags.py", line 165, in write
    fmt = self._opts.getfiletype(filename)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mp3togo/conf.py", line 257, in
getfiletype
    raise ErrorUnknownFileType
mp3togo.conf.ErrorUnknownFileType
baier at aemulus:~>
--

You can access some failing files under:
http://www.normiboy.ch/failing

--
http://www.normiboy.ch