[mp3togo] ogg tagging behavior

Konstantin Pastbin pastk at inbox.ru
Sun Jun 10 13:18:10 PDT 2007

> > I transcode from mp3 to ogg.
> >
> > Original file's tags:
> > Track: 03
> > Title: Third Movement
> > Artist: Glenn Branca
> > Album: The World Upside Down
> > Year: 1990
> >
> > And in resulting .ogg I get:
> > Title: 03 Third Movement
> > Artist: Glenn Branca
> > Album: 1990, The World Upside Down
>
> Hmm, mine omits the year and tracknumber tags.
>
> > What is the rationale behind this behavior? Compatibility reasons? (as
> > far as I know ogg comments are not well standardized)
>
> It's just broken. I think you are the first to notice.
>
> > I didn't tried conversions from and to other formats though..
>
> I did. They're broken too.
>
> I've fixed this.
>
> Thanks for pointing out the problem Konstantin.
>
> Fixed in version 0.5.11
> http://puddle.ca/mp3togo/download.html

Thanks for a quick fix!

Unfortunately it hadn't solve my problem.
Sorry, I didn't noticed it at first - my problem is not in the handling
of 'year' and 'track' tags. Tags for resulting ogg's are taken from
filenames and directory structure (look at examples given at the
beginning and notice the difference in 'title' for example).

Here comes the diff (sorry if it's not a standard patch format - I have
never tried to make patches before :) ):

+++
97c97
<               if self._type == 'mp3':
---
>               if self._type == 'mp3' and HAVE_ID3:
+++

I have no ID3 installed and so the whole branch for reading mp3's tags
(including needed eyeD3 sub-branch) were passed and then tags were
guessed from filenames.

After this small fix tagging works as expected.

I think it would be nice if the user would get noticed of the fact that
tags were not found in original files and mp3togo tries to guess them
from directory structure.